The cold weather usually means more time indoors. Entertain your kids this season by turning play time into learning time by making aromatherapy play dough! Every child loves play dough, and by incorporating essential oils into the mix, you can give playtime a calming experience. During the winter months, it can be hard to keep children entertained indoors, and keeping them peaceful can be an entirely different story! Thank goodness for some fun activities which can keep youngsters amused and satisfied for many hours.
This activity is a great way for minors to learn about aromatherapy and essential oils. Teach them the many different uses for oils, and explain how they can be a benefit to them. Starting kids on a healthy lifestyle now, and teaching them about healthy routines will stick with them as they grow. Use a variety of oils and colors to help kids learn new scents. Some fun essential oils could include Wild Orange, Peppermint, Lemon, Rosemary, or Lavender. There are so many to choose from! Let the kids help find the scents they want to use in their play dough, by sniffing through the essential oils collection at home.
This recipe is really easy to put together! All you need is:
2 cups flour
2 cups colored water
1 cup salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
5 drops essential oils
- Combine all ingredients, except for the essential oils, in a large saucepan and stir until combined.
- Once combined, put over medium heat. Using a spatula, continue to stir ingredients together until it forms a ball.
- Note: Don’t overcook as it will lead to dry play dough.
- Remove from heat and cool on parchment paper.
- Once the play dough is cool, add five drops of your favorite essential oil and knead until thoroughly combined.
- You’re done! Just store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for months of fun.
So much fun awaits! Let imaginations soar, and watch as their creations come to life under their fingers. If you have questions about doTerra essential oils, please do not hesitate to contact me! I would love to answer your questions and help guide you on the path of incorporating essential oils into your home.