Baking with essential oils is the best way to add instant flavor to your desserts. DoTerra oils are an amazing way to instantly kick up the flavor in any dish! There’s nothing more fun than experimenting in the kitchen. So go ahead and add a little peppermint to that chocolate cake. Or, see how those cookies taste with just a hint of almond.
Before you rush off to start your ovens, check out one of our favorite essential oil recipes, complete with baking tips, from DoTerra
Tips and Recipes for Baking with Essential Oils by DoTerra
Using DoTerra essential oils to bake with doesn’t just add flavor. It also helps to solve some common baking problems and improve on those little things that really make for delicious desserts. For instance, lime oil can really help improve a whole-wheat pie crust.
Adding Lime essential oil in the crust helps to soften the whole wheat taste, without adding an overt citrus flavor.
The above tip comes directly from DoTerra. You will find a lot of useful information on their site, including how to stay safe with essential oil use. If you already know the basics, you're ready to get started! So, here’s that recipe if you want to give baking with essential oils a try:
Mixed Berry Pie
Crust (Makes two 9-inch pie crusts)
5–9 tablespoons ice cold water
1 teaspoon sea salt
¾ cup unsalted butter, chilled
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1–2 drops Lime oil
5 cups frozen mixed berries
¾ cup raw sugar
¼ cup corn starch
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 drops Lime oil
1 tablespoon water
- Sift flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Cut butter into 12 pieces and rub into dry ingredients until the mixture resembles a crumbly mixture with pea-sized chunks.
- Add Lime essential oil.
- Sprinkle ice water over mixture, one tablespoon at a time and knead lightly until dough forms. Form dough into a ball. Cut in half and press each into a disc shape. Wrap each disc in waxed paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes before rolling.
- Roll out both crusts and place first crust in pie dish, leaving the other aside.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Combine all filling ingredients and gently toss to coat and combine. Pour filling into pie dish.
- Put the second crust on top of pie, either by way of lattice-work or full coverage. Crimp pie crust edges.
- Whisk together egg and water, then brush pie crust with the egg wash. Sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 40–60 minutes or until crust is brown.*
- Serve the pie at room temperature.
*Tip: Because this crust is whole wheat, it will become more brown more quickly, so you may wish to use a pie shield (if you don't have one, aluminum foil works well) to avoid an overly dark crust.
We hope you enjoy this recipe. If you have any tips or tricks for baking with essential oils, please share them in the comments section below!