I love healthy smoothies and I try to get drink them daily. I've found that certain ingredients have been helping me deal with my perimenopause issues. So I decided to share a few of my favorite healthy smoothie recipes so that you can try them out. Once you try them out, please let me know what you think.
The importance of drinking healthy smoothies
When making healthy smoothies, I try to use ingredients that are not pre-sweetened yet they still taste good. I do this because sugar is one of the foods that can have a negative impact on women who are dealing with the menopausal transition. Also, I like to use frozen vegetables or fruits so that they will last longer.
Fresh produce is the best thing to use, however, since it's just me and the produce doesn't last as long with it is fresh, I go with frozen produce. One good thing about using frozen produce is that it helps the healthy smoothie to thicken up and cool down for a good consistency.
Green Smoothie With Wild Orange*
- 2 cups organic baby kale
- 2 cups frozen organic berries
- 1 large organic carrot Banana or pineapple to taste
- 2–3 cups of water
Blend on high until smooth. For additional sweetness, add a little bit of honey. Add a drop of Wild Orange essential oil to jazz-up the flavor.
Chocolate Mint Maca Smoothie*
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup kale
- ¼ avocado
- 3 dates, pitted
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 1-2 drops Peppermint essential oil
Combine ingredients, except essential oil, in a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add essential oil to taste.
Blueberry Green Smoothie With Lemon Essential Oil*
- 1 frozen and chopped banana
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 6 ounces fresh spinach/silverbeet/kale
- 1–2 celery stalks
- ½ cup parsley
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 teaspoon flaxseed oil (optional)
- 4–6 drops Lemon essential oil (or to taste)
- Combine frozen bananas and blueberries in a blender.
- Add greens and process again.
- Add the coconut water and oils; process again until smooth.
*doTerra is the resource for healthy smoothies recipes mentioned above.